Custom Frame Bags Instructions:
OPTION 1 - Send us a picture - we make the template from it
We will need some accurate dimensions as well as a photo with a couple requirements...
- We will need a photo of the bike taken as plumb and square as possible with the center of the frame triangle in the middle of the picture. The bike being plumb to the ground and square to the camera removes minor angular skew that can change the dimensions when scaled to actual size via overhead projector.
- Please take the photo (Drive side) approximately 10 feet away as increased distance helps negate skew. I have to be able to zoom in to read the ruler and this depends on the resolution of your camera.
- Please use a proper camera with some decent resolution, some phones aren't quite enough as we need to zoom in to see the measurements on the tape measure to scale the photo to the correct size - see above
- If possible, take the photo with a solid background (items in the background can be distracting and make tracing the inside of the frame difficult).
- I use a yardstick, but a tape measure works, I just find a yard stick doesn't bend/buckle. Do not use soft measuring tape.
- Please email the photo at full resolution to email@example.com
- Make sure the yardstick/tape measure doesn't cover any of the frames angle point cable stays etc.
- Bright light is best as shadows are hard, especially with dark colored frames.
- I have attached a good example photo for reference. The magnified area is just for example to be able to read.
OPTION 2 - Send us a cardboard cutout
Please mail us your custom frame bag template as soon as you have placed your order. The shipping order is based on template received, not order placed - first in, first out.
Please include your name, address, email address, bike make, model and size on the cardboard triangle.
Step 1 - Set Up
Rough cut a piece of cardboard, or very stiff paper like poster board, so that it’s slightly bigger than the triangle of your frame. Use tape to attach the card board behind your frame.
Step 2 - Measure / Trace
Use a fine tipped marker to trace a line on the inside edge of your frame tubes; you will need to angle the marker to get as close to the true tubing limits and as far into the corners as possible. Remove the cardboard and cut out the shape of your frame bag carefully using sharp scissors, utility or an exacto knife.
Step 3 - Check Trace
After cutting, insert the cardboard triangle into your frame to make sure that it fits. We will make your frame bag solely based on the triangle size template you send us, take care in making sure the size is right.
Step 4 - Mark Obstructions
To help us design the best attachment system please mark any cable stops (CS) or water bottle cage (WB) mounts on the inside and outside of the frame, top or bottom of the tube and note whether your cables are internally routed or not. If have a front derailleur mark where the top of the front derailleur (FD) attaches with a dashed line. If you have a top tube bag or bags that you intend to use, please mount those on your frame and mark where the straps are located so we make sure they work together.
Use a flexible measuring tape, or a piece of string and a regular measuring tape, find the circumference of your frame tubes and write it inside the triangle on the edge it represents, please do this for all three tubes. We will make the straps a bit longer than needed so that you can trim them down with scissors.
AGAIN.... Please mark the following:
WB - Water Bottle braze-on, CS - Cable stop, FD - Front derailleur
If you have preferred zipper locations please mark these on the template as well
Step 5 - Take pictures
Please take a couple of pictures of the inner triangle of your frame with the template in place. Additionally please take a picture of all the obstructions listed on the template above.
Step 6 - Info On Template
On the template, please write the following things:
- Your Name
- Mailing Address / email address / phone number
- Brand, model and frame size of your bike.
Step 7 - Mail the Template to...
Broad Fork Bags
7082 W. Cedar Heights Dr.
Herriman, UT 84096
If you have any question please send us an email at Sales@BroadForkBags.com
P.S. It really is easier than it sounds :)